What is PDF/A?
PDF/A is a format specialized for long-term preservation of electronic documents. It ensures all needed information is included to render the document exactly as the original in the future and on any system. PDF/A is now an ISO standard and recommended by public archives administrations and archiving companies worldwide.
Compared to standard PDF, PDF/A is much more restrictive. This is to ensure that the document is fully contained in the file.
Advantages and benefits of PDF/A
- All used fonts are included in the file: Text will always appear the same
- Platform independence: Documents are ensured to look the same on any device
- Full text search: Scanned documents can be made searchable through OCR
- Colors are clearly defined and preserved
- Metadata (information about the document) in a standard format is mandatory
How to convert and keep your archived documents in PDF/A
By using PixEdit software you ensure that all your electronic documents are compliant with the PDF/A standard.
- PixEdit® Desktop is a powerful batch-scanning tool, which optimizes the scanned documents automatically and stores them in the PDF/A format
- PixEdit® Converter Server automatically converts all existing electronic documents to PDF/A
- PixJet® Virtual PDF Printer converts special types of documents to PDF/A by "printing" them from the original application