Today, most documents are captured and made digital by scanning them directly to PDF. However, the PDF format did not exist in those days when many companies and organizations started scanning their archives and documentation.
The lack of a standard file format then resulted in documents being stored in a huge variety of file formats, and many of them were proprietary and poorly documented. Also, well documented, standard formats like JPEG or GIF have severe shortcomings in preserving paper documents digitally.
Why should I convert my scanned documents?
Having several different, proprietary or outdated file formats in the document database makes you dependent on non-standard software and can increase system maintenance costs significantly. This is why you should convert all your scanned documents to a modern, standard format. We recommend PDF/A, which is an ISO standard. This ensures that your documents can be viewed on any system and in the future.
PixEdit® Desktop is an extremely powerful file format converter that makes it very easy to get your entire document database up-to-date and compliant with the latest standards.
- Converts more than 100 different file formats, including TIFF, JPEG, PNG, GIF, CALS, Edmics etc.
- Automatic file format detection
- Automatically combines single-page scans to multi-page files (for example many JPEGs to one PDF)
- Makes text-searchable PDFs using OCR
- Easy, stepwise user interface
- State-of-the-art performance